Monday, January 10, 2011

Life is a Garden

Ok so by now if you have been reading my blog, you can see that I am fairly philosophical, like to reminisce, and am a sentimental fool. So, here goes it: my thoughts on life and why it's like a garden.

I just turned 40, and it's funny, I've heard myself begin to say things like, "When I was young," or "Over my life I have learned," or "When I was your age I used to..." etc etc. But I can say I have learned that life is truly like a garden: YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW. It's true. Each good thing I do is like a seed that sprouts something lovely. Each friendship I cultivate, making sure to weed regularly and water plentifully, eventually nourishes me. No full watering can or set of dirty knees ever goes unfruitful. Water a seed and take care of it and it will bless you with good fruit, nourishing vegetables, or beautiful flowers.

Hmmm weeds like water and good soil too! Uh-oh! Well, that's where good life maintenance comes in. It takes work. Make those phone calls, care about people, send that card, say the meaningful, loving things you need to say- including lots of "I'm sorry." Just like a garden, you don't know what will work, whether this or that, but if you do it and expect nothing in return, then you are satisfied merely doing the work. The payoff is a beautiful life, filled with a garden of people and experiences that are good and nourishing to the soul.

On the flip side, as the Bible says in 2 Corinthians 9:6: "Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously." I have at times wondered why I felt lonely or why my friendships just weren't what I wanted them to be. I was tempted to blame the people around me, but the most helpful solution always came when I looked at myself. How thoughtful was I? How encouraging am I to be around? Is it always about me? Do I refresh others or do I bring others down? Hard questions, but usually the answer came as I was honest with myself.

I love that scripture in Romans 2:6-8 "God will repay each person according to what they have done. To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger." I love imagining that life of GLORY, HONOR AND IMMORTALITY. That's a beautiful garden. That's worth getting my knees a little dirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment