Thursday, March 10, 2011

Closed Doors, Open Windows

"When the Lord closes a door, somewhere he opens a window."

I love that quote from "The Sound of Music," my favorite movie. The main character, Maria, waited all her life to be a nun. She loved God and wanted to serve him. Small problem, she just wasn't good at it, being a nun I mean. So, she was sent to widower George Von Trapp to care for his seven children. Door slammed, window opened. Eventually she went on to marry him and become the mother of his brood and they toured the world as a musical group. Inspiring story. Much better use of Maria in God's eyes.

I love her story because when the door shut on her dream she didn't waste time banging on the door. She looked for the open window, for through it she knew God would lead her to her destiny.

I too have had a CLOSED DOOR, OPEN WINDOW week. But unlike Maria, God had to shut this particular door several times. I sat by the door for years and cried. I wondered why the door was shut. I read books on how to open it. I tried to get others to open it. I found the peep hole and tried to live vicariously through those inside. I guess the window just seemed plain, small, unable to lead me to a better place. Plus, it was so high up. It would require me to reach and climb and strive to really see what was waiting outside.

This time the door slammed I only lost a day or two - a record for me. I immediately surrounded myself with amazing friends who could recognize the amazing OPPORTUNITY this closed door really was!! It wasn't a divine rejection or an invitation to try harder. No, this was a pathway to my true destiny. This time when I looked at the window it was large and beautiful, with intricate stained-glass and beveled edges. It took my breath away and I couldn't wait to open it.

Spiritually what was going on was a war between The Enemy and The Good Shepherd. One was trying to discourage me, whispering lies like, "You're not good enough," and "You're nothing." But I know better. Jesus says in John 10:5 "But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice." And in verse 10 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." God's plan for me is a full life and "a hope and a future" (Jeremiah 29:11-13).

I am "dearly loved" (Colossians 3:12)"chosen by God and precious to him (1Peter 2:4). He doesn't want me to waste away sitting by a CLOSED DOOR. He doesn't want me to doubt his plan or his love. No, when God shuts a door, he wants me to reach for that open window and climb through, for he is leading me to my destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment