Sunday, March 6, 2011

Great Expectations

Expectations, if not handled delicately, are the great stumbling stone to our happiness. Have you ever thought to yourself, "It MUST be this way," or "I bet he's going to..." or "This day is going t be just perfect!" Ugh. It seems like the thought just about has time to complete itself before something comes along to burst your bubble. Someone forgets the time or forgets the directions or forgets your birthday or forgets his wallet or just plain forgets her manners. Or, have you ever been SURE that you and your soul mate were on the same page only to find out that not only were you not on the same page, you weren't even in the same library! Assumptions, assumptions - they get us into more trouble!!

Funny, McDonald's might be a nostalgic, fun meal spontaneously, but take me there on a date and I would have to work on my attitude. Same fries, just different EXPECTATIONS. Of course, some are good and healthy (not fries, expectations). But, like a prescription, they work wonders on ourselves but wreak havoc on others. I can expect myself to love my children with all my heart, serve them, discipline them diligently, know the minutia of their hearts' needs...but expect that of others? Not fair. I can push myself to even love my spouse fully, doing my darnedest to anticipate what will encourage him and help him feel valued and loved... but even to expect the same in return gets me into trouble. In the end, the only one I can "control" is me. The only one I understand is me. I constantly find myself needing to try on others' shoes and walk awhile, or pray about the things that "ruffle my feathers." I still have to practice saying "I'm sorry," because I'm not perfect at it yet.

Granted, Paul the apostle was never married, but he gives me the key when I get stuck.

In Romans 15:7 he writes, "Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God." And then in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 he says simply, "give thanks in all circumstances." For me, acceptance and being thankful gets me out of trouble every time. If I can check my emotions for a time I can usually begin to see the heart behind the matter. I stumble at many points, but as I go forward I will strive to keep all GREAT EXPECTATIONS for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment