Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Catch it While It's Wet

The other day my toddler's mucky sticky lunch was somehow catapulted off the table and onto the wall and floor. It was a horrific sight and one I did not have time for. So, the mess sat there for a few hours until I could tackle it. By the time I got to it, the ick had become one with the surfaces and it was difficult to clean. I had to scrub and go over it multiple times before it was clean again.
Note to self: CATCH IT WHILE IT'S WET!

Isn't it true? The concept applies not only to walls and muck, but to pots, pans, paint, and especially RELATIONSHIPS. Can you relate to this scenario? You have an argument with your spouse over something that, deep down inside you know is your fault but your pride keeps you from admitting it. The longer you brood over it the more difficult it is to break that wall. Had you caught it right away and told the truth, it would have been over! Ridiculous! Exhausting and a waste of time.

Or, have you ever waited for someone to ask you for their forgiveness? It's misery. The longer time goes by, the crustier that muck becomes. Jesus has great advice that helps me, but admittedly is challenging at the same time. Matthew 5:25 says "settle matters quickly" because (to paraphrase) worse things will happen if you don't. Going back to the mess on the wall, had I waited longer I might have had to damage the paint or scratch up the floor to clean the mess. Well, damage can be done to relationships too. We've all heard stories of the chasms between people that never see resolve, and then one party dies. Or how about that 60-70% divorce rate here in America? Living in Israel for almost 2 years I was saddened daily by the hatred and lack of resolve between people that resulted in countless lives lost in the futility of it all. It was heartbreaking.

Another great scripture comes to mind as well, in Ephesians 5:26-27 it says "do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold." Catch a stain right away, save a shirt. Give that stain a "foothold" and the shirt is ruined. It makes sense in the physical realm as well as the emotional and spiritual realms. Just as I loathe cleaning crusty icky spills, I am troubled by emotional ones as well. I want to take care of my relationships and catch any messes while they're still wet. It's one of the most difficult things for my prideful heart, but the payoff is emotional peace. "Blessed are the peacemakers," Jesus says (Matthew 5).

No comments:

Post a Comment