Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How to Live Large on a Budget - Christian Edition

My hubby is amazing. He has provided me and my two young sons with such a rich life, and we only live on around $45,000 or so combined. Here are some of the highlights:

-We own a home.
-We own two vehicles (outright).
-We take vacations.
-We eat out regularly.
-We frequently embark on recreational activities.
-We are all clothed.
-We are all fed.
-We are generous with others.
-We give gifts and throw parties.
-We tithe to our church.
-We save.

Here are my top 10 tips on living large on a budget:

1. Faithfully tithe. LIVE LARGE PROMISE : GOD WILL BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY
God promises in Malachi 3 that he will throw open the floodgates of blessing if we simply give
to him first and do it faithfully. He is our first "bill" even when we don't know how we will
make it. We serve a faithful God who promises to take care of us if we seek him first
Matthew 6:33. I could go on and on about the miraculous ways God has provided large for us
because we put him first financially!

2. Be on a budget and regularly review your spending. LIVE LARGE PROMISE: STAY OUT
OF DEBT!
Boundaries are so good for me because I am a compulsive spender. Knowing my limits helps
me to make better decisions and to learn my "needs vs wants." It's easy to overspend
without even knowing it. My husband and I review what we spend each month so we know how we are doing on keeping to our budget. The accountability is great and it reminds me to be frugal and be a good steward of what God has given us.

3. Pay cash. LIVE LARGE PROMISE: GET WHAT YOU WANT WITHOUT THE GUILT
We don't have the latest cars or toys, but what we have we own (except our home, which we
are paying for). We would rather buy used and not have a payment, then be strapped to
credit payments. Paying for things outright means living withing your means.

4. Frequently stay organized. LIVE LARGE PROMISE: YOU HAVE MORE THAN YOU REALIZE
I am amazed at the things I find while organizing, doing laundry, putting things in their proper
place, etc. I know that large amounts of money can be wasted by buying things again that are
lost due to being cluttery or disorganized. Also, items can become destroyed or lost by not
taking care of them or putting them away.

5. Be generous. LIVE LARGE PROMISE: YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW!
2 Corinthians 9:11 says: You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on
every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. I love
that! If I have it in my heart to give to others or to the poor, I need not worry if I will have
enough for myself. God himself will provide. You can't outgive God. He finds ways to bless
us when we give to others.

6. Become a home cook (and learn to eat leftovers). LIVE LARGE PROMISE: MORE PLEASURE, GOOD HEALTH, GREAT FAMILY TIME
Most of our meals are eaten at home together and I am the chef of our restaurant (well...). I
try my best to use all the food we buy without letting it go to waste. We have a dining budget
for nights out, but mostly we eat here at home. It's been a fun challenge for me to learn to
cook good, healthy meals for the family, and my boys are growing up healthy and non-picky!

7. Learn a craft or creative skill. LIVE LARGE PROMISE: DEEP SATISFACTION, GROWING IN THOUGHTFULNESS, YOUR GIFT IS THE ONE THEY WON'T FORGET!
If you are a social person, then you probably are on the guest list of many weddings, showers
and birthday parties. Nothing is more budget friendly than a homemade gift or special piece
art. But it's not only budget friendly, it's timeless and unforgettable and it shows how much
time and thoughtfulness you put into your gifts. They are always appreciated if done well.

8. Don't be too good for Goodwill. LIVE LARGE PROMISE: HIDDEN TREASURES AWAIT FOR MERE PENNIES!
I could make a day out of going to thrift stores or yard sales. I am also a big fan of Craig's List.
We have literally saved thousands of dollars by utilizing these. Personally, I like an eclectic
look, but even if you love brand-new things, you'd be surprised at what you could find.

9. Be content with what you have. LIVE LARGE PROMISE: THERE'S A MANSION AWAITING ME IN HEAVEN! WHY WASTE TIME COMPLAINING?
The Bible teaches us to be content. It also teaches us to not covet (or desire) other people's
things. Those two principles help me to say "no" when I am lusting after a purchase that I
know I don't need. I have plenty. A week after I buy that thing I "must" have, I forget about
it anyway.

10. Be creative, or ask a creative friend. LIVE LARGE PROMISE: EVEN A DIAMOND STARTS OUT AS A LUMP OF COAL...
Paint, new hardware, new knobs, decorative touches, etc. can really make a difference.
Before you buy, "shop" your own home. Is there something at home you could make over?
Or, could you get by with a new lampshade? If you can't envision it, ask your artsy friend to
come help, we all have one!

There are so many ways to save, but these have been amazing for us! Thanks for reading and good luck! I would love to hear how you are doing it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment