Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fall Thoughts

Funny thing happened at our house this year. Last winter I decided to throw some leftover gourds out for the poor scrawny squirrels in our yard. They devoured them and it gave my conscience a high five for not throwing food away. The funny thing was, this summer we started noticing some rather large leaves growing in the proximity of the gourd feast. Turns out, without any effort at all on my part, the leftover seeds from the eaten gourds had planted themselves and created an entire patch for us to enjoy. My husband, who does lawn maintenance for a living, was horrified and wanted to mow it all down, but I somehow saved our little patch and proudly harvested an entire box of mixed gourds with my 2 year old.

So, I learned a great lesson. Ecclesiastes 11:5b-6 says: "you do not understand the work of God, the maker of all things. Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening do not let your hands be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well." The lesson? God is always at work, and I am soooo not in control. He loves to surprise us with his wonders and keep us guessing and needing him. He loves to remind us that he is not a formula, a religion or a set of rules. He is alive "like the wind" Jesus says. His character never changes but he is not stuck in a book. No, he is always working and wants us to be the same. Not workaholics, but productive, creative, purposeful beings.

All that time in the cold, snowy winter I had no idea what was about to happen in my backyard, but like magic we got to see this wonderful thing grow. How winsome and childlike and playful is our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment