Monday, October 18, 2010

In the arms of God

There's something so special about a mother and her baby. There is a tender bond, a nurturing, an unconditional love and acceptance. The baby need not be able to speak intelligently nor do good deeds to be loved. Its sheer neediness and inability to survive on its own produce protective feelings and devotion in the mother. It's a beautiful plan.

I have a three month-old right now whom I am in love with. Of course I loved him from the moment I saw him, but lately the feelings in my heart are so giddy and sweet that I often laugh out loud just holding him. He is smiling and laughing at me now, and making lots of fun gurgles and "goo"s. Seriously, I am in love. Did he strive to earn it? Nope. Can he even say "thank you" or do anything for me? Nope. I just love him with all my heart and he needs me with all his being.

Jesus tells us in John 15 to remain in him, or abide in him. Literally it means to make our home in him, to dwell in him. For almost 10 months my baby made his dwelling place in my (huge) belly. And now, he continues to remain in me as he daily, hourly even, needs me desperately. He knows his place in me and he is happiest simply sitting in my arms, getting his needs met. For us, Jesus promises all of our needs will be met in God's arms, if we would only just dwell there.
If only we could let go of our schedules, pride, idols, and TVs and dwell in the arms of God - I think we would be blown away at the peace and security we would feel there. Second to Jesus, David seemed to know this intimacy with God as he expresses in the Psalms "blessed are all who seek refuge in you" (Psalm 2).

I don't know about you, but I have decided to climb up on my daddy's lap and let him love me and take care of me. I have decided to obey him and listen to him. I can't wait to see where he carries me.

No comments:

Post a Comment