Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Gratitude

In the last 5 years I have had to write more "thank you" notes than ever in my years combined. I was engaged, had wedding showers, then a wedding, then a baby boy and then another baby boy. I also turned 40 recently which brought on a new onslaught of the need to thank many.

Yes, I am old-fashioned and feel the intense need to actually sit down and pen my thoughts of gratitude, after which I snail mail and sometimes even include pictures! I just HAVE to! I truly want that person to know that their gift or gesture meant something to me and made my day. It's a good exercise for me and I like the tiny sacrifice of time I have to make to meditate on how thoughtful that person was and how special I feel having been the focus of their shopping excursion. People are busy and I am insignifigant! Someone took the time to come to my party AND buy me a gift? WOW!! Seriously, I think these actual thoughts.

(Ok, I have to say, if I have forgotten to thank you I am so sorry!)

Anyways, I was handing out two thank you notes tonight at church and on the way home I was struck by the sheer volume of thanks I have had to write and I got it: God wants me to grow in my gratitude. He wants me to stop and notice the life he has given me TEEMING WITH GOOD and RICH IN BLESSINGS. UGH UGH UGH (slap forehead) I complain and feel negative too often. I often forget to thank God and I lack gratitude for the ultimate gift, the cross. That needs to humble me so much more and produce so much more in me. If I had to sit and write God a "thank you" note every time he blessed me I would be very busy and much more grateful. If I had to ponder over every trial and see the amazing, life-giving lessons I would be filled with joy no matter what.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Sounds like a great way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment